Marybeth Majestic was raised in the Woodlawn section of the Bronx and came to the Gardiner area to attend SUNY New Paltz in 1978. She graduated with a major in Political Science, a double minor in Journalism (Legislative Gazette Alumni) and Speech Communication.
Marybeth credits Professor Glenn Doty (Editor of the Legislative Gazette) for her meeting her husband, Charley. Marybeth met Charley when interviewing him on rebuilding the Deyo family stone house on Route 208 for an assignment. Together, Marybeth & Charley raised three sons; Danny, Kevin and Brian and they will celebrate their 32nd wedding anniversary in February.
Always civic minded, Marybeth was involved with the PTA serving as President, Secretary and Treasurer at New Paltz High School. She was instrumental in saving the Gardiner Schoolhouse (Town Hall) through her leadership and involvement with the Gardiner Historical Society (GHS). As President of GHS she hosted lectures on local historic topics such as: The Aqueduct, Gardiner’s One Room Schoolhouses, the Trapps Mountain Hamlet, the Tuthilltown Hamlet, Historic Family Cemeteries and other points of historic interest. Currently Marybeth is the Treasurer for the Ulster County Supervisor’s Association.
Marybeth, seeking her third two-year term as Gardiner’s Supervisor, is a woman who stands up and fights for what she believes in, but only after fully researching and considering all the facts. She is hard-working, with a strong will and desire to do what she can to keep Gardiner a wonderful place to live. Some of her major accomplishments for the last four years as the head of Gardiner’s government include:
- Extensive improvements to the Gardiner Town Hall, achieved partially through the contribution of volunteer labor;
- Created a new and user-friendly town website;
- Major policy improvements including new laws on the Planning Board, Ethics Commission and Solar farms;
- Implemented initiatives to improve communication among Gardiner’s various citizen boards;
- Created a more efficient and transparent board meeting process;
- Addressed tourism issues in Gardiner;
- Responsible for major improvements in Gardiner’s recreational infrastructure affecting Majestic Park and the Rail Trail;
- Addressing major infrastructure needs such as the Sewer Treatment Plant and the Clove Road Bridge;
- Engaged in major initiatives that affect the environment including working to help save Tillson Lake and supporting Climate Smart Gardiner Task Force.